‘There is No Climate Emergency’ (1,107 Signatories and Counting)
The World Climate Declaration (Global Climate Intelligence Group) follows:
- There is no climate emergency Climate science should be less political, while climate policies should be more scientific. Scientists should openly address uncertainties and exaggerations in their predictions of global warming, while politicians should dispassionately count the real costs as well as the imagined benefits of their policy measures.
- Natural as well as anthropogenic factors cause warming. The geological archive reveals that Earth’s climate has varied as long as the planet has existed, with natural cold and warm phases. The Little Ice Age ended as recently as 1850. Therefore, it is no surprise that we now are experiencing a period of warming.
- Warming is far slower than predicted. The world has warmed significantly less than predicted by IPCC on the basis of modeled anthropogenic forcing. The gap between the real world and the modeled world tells us that we are far from understanding climate change.
- Climate policy relies on inadequate models Climate models have many shortcomings and are not remotely plausible as policy tools. They do not only exaggerate the effect of greenhouse gases, they also ignore the fact that enriching the atmosphere with CO2 is beneficial.
- CO2 is plant food, the basis of all life on Earth CO2 is not a pollutant. It is essential to all life on Earth. More CO2 is favorable for nature, greening our planet. Additional CO2 in the air has promoted growth in global plant biomass. It is also profitable for agriculture, increasing the yields of crops worldwide.
- Global warming has not increased natural disasters There is no statistical evidence that global warming is intensifying hurricanes, floods, droughts and suchlike natural disasters, or making them more frequent. However, there is ample evidence that CO2 mitigation measures are as damaging as they are costly.
- Climate policy must respect scientific and economic realities There is no climate emergency. Therefore, there is no cause for panic and alarm. We strongly oppose the harmful and unrealistic net-zero CO2 policy proposed for 2050. Go for adaptation instead of mitigation; adaptation works whatever the causes are.
Our advice to the European leaders is that Science should strive for a significantly better understanding of the Climate System, while Politics should focus on minimizing potential climate damage by priortizing adapation strategies based on proven and affordable technologies
COP27 is several months ahead. The world is recommitting itself to fossil fuels, while only government largesse keeps the wind/solar/battery gravy train going. Global Climate Intelligence Group’s World Climate Declaration stands as a beacon light to a wholly different approach of free-market adaptation, not government mitigation.
See also CLINTEL Declaration Essay
The World Climate Declaration errs in stating that “Warming is far slower than predicted.” as modern climate models to not “predict.” Instead, they “project.” While climatologists usually make this distinction, journalists and left-leaning politicians usually do not. To do fail to make this distinction is a grave error, for while “predictions” would support regulation of Earth’s climate system, “projections” do not do so for while “predictions” would convey information gain about the conditional outcomes of the events of the future for Earth’s climate system “projections” fail to do so.
An application of the Fallacy of Misplaced Concreteness by a journalist or politician under which an “abstract” event of the future is mistaken for a “concrete” event of the future is the cause of this fiasco, where an “abstract” event of the future is one that lacks a location in space and time while a “concrete” event of the future is one that has such a location. As a collection of “concrete” events is an example of a statistical population but a collection of “abstract” events of the future is not, the effect is for journalists and left-leaning politicians to create the misimpression that claims made by modern climate models have empirical support though they do not. For this mistake to be corrected is urgently needed as it has led to the enactment into law of logically and scientifically unfounded energy policies and to enforcement of these policies to the detriment of mankind.